Lovin' our Big Boy!

Lovin' our Big Boy!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Why? Or really, why not?


Yesterday, Jack and I are riding to school. He's listening to an oldie but goodie "Peep's Animal Homes" story on CD. I had stumbled upon it in the car and popped it in to surprise him. He lost his love for Peep and the Big Wide World (from TLC and Discovery Kids) a year or two ago. But the old favs still warm his heart at times. And this is one of those times. Anyway, so we're riding along and he says, from the back seat, "Mommy, why does Quack wear the same hat all the time?" and I take pause. It feels so normal. It flowed so easily. We banter back and forth with ease. I say, "I guess it is because it is the only hat he has. Isn't it funny that a duck wears a hat?" "Yeah", he laughs, and then says "Why doesn't he have any other hats?" I say that I don't know. We giggle at the silliness of a duck wearing a hat and go back to the story.

But here's the thing. Sometimes you know that something normal is special because, when you experience it, you realize that you never experience that normal thing. It was so noticeable that Jack asked me a "why" question because he never does. Not never but not often. Maybe once every two weeks or so. And I just wonder why. Why does he do it in this moment with such ease and yet not inquire in such a (simple) way on a regular basis? I am baffled. Surely it is in there, or he wouldn't be able to spit it out in times like this. Why doesn't he ask more "why questions", I ask myself. Hopefully, as he continues to grow and heal he will continue to develop this skill. Why not, right?

4 comments:

Shelbie and Aaron Rose said...

That is great! I hate that there are so many unanswered questions. I can not imagine how much it warmed your heart to have such a sweet conversation with Jack! What a way to start the day.

Kristi J said...

I tagged you...have fun with it, kj

Kristi J said...

I knew you'd already know it all..I have too big of a mouth (: yes, it makes you my bestest buddy, kj

Amy said...

Bittersweet. I get it. It's one of the most baffling things to me--why things can be so easy sometimes and a struggle at others. Thanks for sharing that.